Saturday, November 7, 2009

Adultery Punishable by Stoning in Somalia

A third person has been stoned to death for adultery in Somalia. This year.

1 comment:

  1. I personally find this is atrocious but, I am not from Somalia. Referencing Abdullah An Na'im's article on Cross-Cultural Differences, one has to think in terms of other cultures. In America adultery is not too uncommon and is rarely, if at all, punished. Aside from getting a divorce and the show "Cheaters", there are no Scarlet Letters being given out, let alone stoning.

    But, as hard as I try to think in terms of Somalia's culture, I see no justification in stoning a 13 year old girl who was raped. Or stoning a father and then the mother after she has her baby. What happens to that baby? Authorities say she would be given to relatives. Either way, it is a serious violation of human rights. I can see possible criminal offenses due to Somalia's culture but nothing even close to death.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.