Proposition 8 was passed last November in California. It defined marriage as between a man and a woman. In the spring, Prop 8 was brought before the California Supreme Court where it was upheld. Now, two lawyers are bringing Prop 8 before the Federal Court. The trial is set to begin January 11, 2010. The two lawyers are Ted Olson and David Boies, who incidentally argued against each other in Bush v. Gore in 2004.
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4107-Gay--Lesbian-Issues-Examiner~y2009m8d19-Federal-Prop-8-trial-set-for-January-11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought this was interesting as well. I saw a connection between this story and "funny boy's". America still has a long way to go, not only with gay rights, but with discriminating slurs and social norms as well. We've all seen that commercial on why not to say "that's so gay" anymore (and if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0). Who are we to mock someone's perception of love. I think this video of this young boy's sad story will touch all of you.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNMggq_NADg&feature=related
I had not seen that commerical before. It was very informative without being too negatively reprimanding. The fact that Wanda was saying it also helped because she put a funny touch to it while still keeping it serious.
ReplyDeleteThe messages and connonations that are associated with being gay are negative and are contributing to the abuse homosexuals face. This is present to the extreme in the Ellen Degeneres video Becca posted. I find it beyond upsetting that this kind of behavior is still prevalent today. It's easy to think that homosexuals are accepted when you live in Massachusetts but there are 49 other states and the rest of the world to think about.