So I was poking around online and came accross this interveiw with Marjane Satrapi, she talks a about the book, Iran, influences, etc. I think it's a pretty good insight to her mind. So here is the link to the interveiw:
http://www.bookslut.com/features/2004_10_003261.php
I think it was particularly interesting when she spoke about not truely having a home. When coming here, people always ask me where I am from, and it is kind of an awkward question, I grew up in Maryland, Maryland still feels like my home, but I live in Maine now, I've lived in Maine for the last 2 years and I love it, but it doesn't feel like home. Of course my feelings are not really comprable to Satrapi's. I was forced to leave Maryland because my father got a job in Maine and my parents weren't going to leave me behind, not because Maryland was in any sort of turmoil that put me into danger. I can go and visit pretty much whenever I please (funds permiting) and the culture of Maryland and the culture of Maine are not that different. Satrapi is expiriencing a more intense sense of "homelessness" because she cannot go back and visit Iran, France and Iran are almost opposites culturally (she talks about how in Iran it is required to wear the veil and in France it is illegal to wear the veil in school) and her family is still in Iran. I really liked how she described Iran as her mother and France as her spouse. She loves them both, but it is a different kind of love.
It was very interesting what she said about fighting against the veil and now fighting for it. By forcing these girls not to wear the veil at school, many stop going to school and this alienates them which doesn't end persecution. Having been in a situation where she was forced to do something against her will (such as wear the veil) she understands how it is about trying to find identity in a country whose ideology may not reflect their own.
http://www.bookslut.com/features/2004_10_003261.php
I think it was particularly interesting when she spoke about not truely having a home. When coming here, people always ask me where I am from, and it is kind of an awkward question, I grew up in Maryland, Maryland still feels like my home, but I live in Maine now, I've lived in Maine for the last 2 years and I love it, but it doesn't feel like home. Of course my feelings are not really comprable to Satrapi's. I was forced to leave Maryland because my father got a job in Maine and my parents weren't going to leave me behind, not because Maryland was in any sort of turmoil that put me into danger. I can go and visit pretty much whenever I please (funds permiting) and the culture of Maryland and the culture of Maine are not that different. Satrapi is expiriencing a more intense sense of "homelessness" because she cannot go back and visit Iran, France and Iran are almost opposites culturally (she talks about how in Iran it is required to wear the veil and in France it is illegal to wear the veil in school) and her family is still in Iran. I really liked how she described Iran as her mother and France as her spouse. She loves them both, but it is a different kind of love.
It was very interesting what she said about fighting against the veil and now fighting for it. By forcing these girls not to wear the veil at school, many stop going to school and this alienates them which doesn't end persecution. Having been in a situation where she was forced to do something against her will (such as wear the veil) she understands how it is about trying to find identity in a country whose ideology may not reflect their own.
Wow I had no idea there were different types...Are all these arcticles of clothing used by muslim women? Does the type of veil one wear influences by culture or nationality? For example, do Iranian women typically wear hijab's while in Khazakstan they were burqa's?
ReplyDelete